My tendency to idealize Western civilization arises from my nationalistic desire to use the West in order to reform... But this has led me to overlook the flaws of Western culture... I have been obsequious toward Western civilization, exaggerating its merits, and at the same time exaggerating my own merits. I have viewed the West as if it were not only [salvation] but also the natural and ultimate destination of all humanity. Moreover I have used this delusional idealism to assign myself the role of savior...

I now realize that Western civilization cannot save humanity. If we stand back for a moment, we can see that it possesses all the flaws of humanity in general... If I want to reflect on the fate of humanity or how to be an authentic person, I have no choice but to carry out two critiques simultaneously.

I must:

1. Use Western civilization as a tool to critique.

2. Use my own creativity to critique the West.

from Liu Xiaobo's No Enemies, No Hatred
top