Adapted from "Belle," of Disney's Beauty and the Beast (1991)

Gael lives in a town plagued by heroin and meth addicts, a town where marijuana, mushrooms and acid are virtually unheard of. Commissioner Gaston, who has controlled the drug trafficking in the town for decades, heads up the charge to eliminate Gael, one of the last weed dealers for miles. After a huge bust, Gael is forced to run and comes across a decrepit mansion where he finds his old buddy Maurice in a drug-induced stupor amongst an orgy of brain-washed male prostitutes, all held captive by a man named Beast. Gael offers to stay in the mansion in exchange for Maurice's freedom, and Beast accepts.

Beast, exiled by Gaston years ago for selling LSD, treats Gael with a surprising kindness, taking him on walks through the forest where they trip together. As Gael's latent schizophrenia begins to affect him due to so much drug use, he begins to have visions of a beautiful man who will rescue him from the mansion; after months, when the man never comes, he sinks into a debilitating depression. Beast, who has fallen in love with Gael, tries to cheer him up by sending him to town to bring back his last stash of acid, implanting a tracking device inside him to ensure his return in a week's time.

Am not sure where to take it from there, but it feels promising.


Gael:
Little town,
Somewhat quiet village,
Every day like the one before.
Little town,
Full of little addicts,
Waking up to say:

Townsfolk:
Fuck you!
Get bent!
Piss off! Screw this! GET OUT!

Gael:
There go the pushers with their pills,
Like always,
The same old H and E to sell.
Every morning's just the same
As the evening that we came
Back to this poor provincial town.

Pimp: Hello, Gael.

Gael: Evening, Monsieur.

Pimp: Where are you off to?

Gael: My dealer. I just came down off the most wild trip about a beanstalk and an ogre and a --

Pimp: That's nice. Marie! The cash! Hurry up!

Townsfolk:
And there he goes, that boy,
He's so peculiar.
Dazed and distracted, can't you tell?
Never part of any crowd,
'Cause his head's up on some cloud.
No denying he's a funny boy,
Gael.

Woman I: Bonjour!

Man I: Blow me.

Woman I: A plague on your family!

Woman II: Fuck life!

Man II: Screw you!

Man III: I banged your wife.

Kid I: I need an eight-ball!

Kid II: That's too expensive!

Gael: There must be more than this provincial life!

Dealer: Ah, Gael.

Gael: Good evening! I've come to pick up another ounce.

Dealer: Finished already?

Gael: Oh, I couldn't put it down. Have you got anything new?

Dealer: Ha ha! Not since yesterday.

Gael: That's all right. I'll take... this one!

Dealer: That one? But you've tried it twice!

Gael: Well, it's my favorite! Far off stares, closed-eye hallucinations, a complete body high: it's like a magic spell!

Dealer: If you like it all that much, it's yours!

Gael: But, sir!

Dealer: I'm joking. But I'll knock five bucks off.

Gael: Well, thank you. Thank you very much!

Townsfolk:
Look! There he goes!
That boy is so peculiar.
I wonder if he's feeling well.
With a dreamy, far-off look,
And his nose stuck in a book,
What a puzzle to the rest of us:
Gael.

Gael:
Oh, isn't this sedating?
It's my favorite part,
Because you'll see:
Here's where I meet my Prince Charming,
But I won't discover he's not real
'Til I'm off the DMT.

Townsfolk:
Now, it's no wonder that his name means, "stranger,"
A paradox sans parallel;
'Cause behind that fair facade,
I'm afraid he's rather odd.
Very different from the rest of us,
He's nothing like the rest of us,
Yes, different from the rest of us:
Gael!

Officer LeFou: Wow! You didn't miss a shot, Gaston! You're the greatest narc in the whole world!

Commissioner Gaston: I know.

Officer LeFou: No junkie alive stands a chance against you. Ha ha ha! And no dealer, for that matter.

Commissioner Gaston: It's true, LeFou. And I've got my sights set on that one.

Officer LeFou: Hm! The inventor's son?

Commissioner Gaston: He's the one: the lucky guy I'm going to catch.

Officer LeFou: But he's --

Commissioner Gaston: The most elusive in town.

Officer LeFou: I know, but --

Commissioner Gaston: That makes him scum. And don't I deserve to imprison scum?

Officer LeFou: Well, of course! I mean you do, but --

Commissioner Gaston:
Right from the moment when I smelled him, saw him,
I said, "He's dangerous, I can tell."
Here in town, there's only he
Who's a sociopath like me,
So I'm making plans to find and jail Gael.

Townsfolk:
Look! There he goes!
A boy who thinks he's special,
He must be surely damned to Hell.
It's a pity and a sin that he doesn't quite fit in,
'Cause he really is a funny boy,
A strange and all too funny boy,
He really is a funny boy:

Gael!
top