(in play format)

Characters:
TRAVIS, a struggling writer
SANDY, a down-to-earth waitress

TRAVIS and SANDY have been dating for just under twelve months; the two moved in together a few months earlier and have been trying to make ends meet ever since. SANDY comes home from work to find TRAVIS drunk, trying to write but moaning woefully instead.

SANDY: Is everything alright? You feeling lonely? You feeling moldy? (grabs stomach and grumbles) You're not the only.

TRAVIS (head down): Can't you see me here on overload? It feels like I could fall. (turns and speaks slowly) We could lose it all.

SANDY: I'll bail you out again. I've got the readies. (fishes out wallet to count bills) I'm not a child. I know.

TRAVIS (ashamed): Is this the way my life has got to be? Have I a single opportunity?

SANDY: What did you want to be when you grew up? Ah? To go away and not look back, to go ahead and change your life without regard to what they said!

TRAVIS: Been there! Done that! (points to alcohol) Messed around! (rolls eyes) (to himself, but SANDY hears him) My information's just not going in.

SANDY: Every sound that I hear from your mouth is so deliberate, never nice at all. (pause) But we can work it out.

TRAVIS (shakes head furiously): I'm just crazy, I'm totally mad! Yeah, I'm just crazy. (whispers) I'm fucked in the head.

SANDY: Now, the world can be an unfair place at times, but the lows will have their complement of highs.

TRAVIS: Isn't life under the sun just a crazy dream? Isn't life just a mirage of the world before the world?

SANDY (shakes head disapprovingly): Maybe sometimes make it easy.

TRAVIS: You see, that's the difference between us! I believe in nothing!

SANDY: You say I'm foolish for pushing this aside. Does it lessen your affection? No.

TRAVIS (crosses arms and scoffs): I never wanted anything from you except everything you had and what was left after that too.

SANDY (indignant): You can turn your back on the bitter world, you, "Greatest Hits 2006" little list maker.

SANDY grabs part of his manuscript and rips it up.

TRAVIS (furious): You're a zero! What's your name? No one's going to ask you!

TRAVIS fumes for a second before realizing what he's said.

SANDY (turns her back): We can end it. This love's for gentlemen only. (under her breath) Thought it could have been something else.

TRAVIS goes slowly, discouraged.

TRAVIS: Been wrong so many times before, but never quite like this. (turns back and calls out) I hope to make it home one day! (waits for response, doesn't get one, turns to leave again) (dejected) I doubt that day will come.

END

---

"What Would I Want? Sky" by Animal Collective, Fall Be Kind
"When Love Takes Over" by David Guetta f. Kelly Rowland, One Love
"My Maudlin Career" by Camera Obscura, My Maudlin Career
"The Reeling" by Passion Pit, Manners
"Walkabout" by Atlas Sound f. Noah Lennox, Logos
"Bulletproof" by La Roux, La Roux
"Orange Shirt" by Discovery, LP
"Lust for Life" by Girls, Album
"Ambling Alp" by Yeasayer, Odd Blood
"Stillness is the Move" by Dirty Projectors, Bitte Orca
"Two Weeks" by Grizzly Bear, Veckatimest
"Convinced of the Hex" by The Flaming Lips, Embryonic
"Crystalised" by The xx, xx
"Dog Days are Over" by Florence and the Machine, Lungs
"Cousins" by Vampire Weekend, Contra
"Zero" by Yeah Yeah Yeahs, It's Blitz
"Lisztomania" by Phoenix, Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix
"Snookered" by Dan Deacon, Bromst
top